For heavy duty work or routine drill jobs at home, many people still prefer corded drills over cordless drills. Cordless drills are out-performed by corded drills due following factors
- Higher and Constant Power
- Higher Torque
There are different types of corded drills available in market. Every drill type is designed for a specific purpose ranging from DIY jobs to exclusive and professional heavy duty work. Some of the major corded drill types are following.
Standard Drill. This is the common drill/driver that is used for DIY projects, home jobs and light commercial activities. These are pistol shaped category with simple triggered operation. The standard drill is the basic corded drill that can be used for fixing screws in house furniture or in concrete walls.
Hammer Drill. The hammer drill is based on the hammer action which makes the bits to pulsate while during the rotation of screws in the target surface. The pulsation provides the addition force to the corded hammer drill and allows you to complete heavy jobs related to stones and concrete surfaces quite easily. The hammer functionality mode can be switched off to convert it to a standard rotational drill.
Roto Hammer Drill. The rotational drill works on pneumatics rather than Cam-drills. The rotational drills are easy to hold and create less vibration as compared to other drill types. These are designed for heavy duty construction or masonry works.
Angle Drill. It is often called right angle drill and is useful while working in restricted areas. Plumbers and electricians find this corded angle drill advantageous to work around the corners due to its perfect design and built.
Corded drills are suitable for many industrial as well as residential jobs. Some of the major applications of corded drills are
- Drilling holes and screws in different types of surfaces like wood, metal, fiber and glass.
- Boring the rough and hard surfaces like stones, concrete and plaster.
- Drilling pilot holes on wood or iron angles or brackets.
- Supports the countersinking screws
- Making circular holes for pipes and cables
- If used with certain add-on accessories, corded drills can be used as sanders, saws or polishers.
- Powerful and Compact to get the job done
- Variable Speed for control during drilling/driving
- On Board Bit Storage for convenience
- Chuck Size: 3/8 in; Included Components: (1) DR340 Drill/Driver, (1) Double Ended Screwdriver Bit
- Poweful 7.0 amp motor for tough applications
- 1/2 in. keyed chuck to accept large diameter bits designed for woodworking and cutting
- Side assist handle for controlled, accurate drilling
- Variable Speed trigger for controlled drilling speed
- 8-amp motor delivers high performance in heavy-duty applications
- 3/8-inch all-metal ratcheting keyless chuck for greater bit retention
- 0-2,500 RPM VSR trigger for versatility in drilling and fastening applications
- Mid-handle grip design with soft grip provides increased balance and comfort
- All ball-bearing construction provides greater durability and longer tool life
- 8.0 Amp motor delivers high performance in heavy-duty applications
- 3/8-inch ratcheting keyless chuck for greater bit retention
- 0-2,500 RPM, vsr trigger for versatility in drilling and fastening applications
- Soft grip handle design offers increased gripping surface and comfort
- All ball-bearing construction provides greater durability and longer tool life;
- 6.5-Amp motor delivers power in demanding applications
- Keyless 3/8-inch chuck provides fast and easy bit changes
- 0-2500 RPM variable speed trigger provides the best results for drilling and driving
- Lock-on button provides easier control during prolonged use
How to choose a Best Corded Drill?
The drilling speed needs to be changed according to the surface to be drilled and the bits used. For softer material like wood, the rpm has to be high and for harder materials, you need to slow down the speed. For house-hold works, the speed range pf 700 to 1000 rpm is perfect.
The chuck size determines what bit size you can use. The chuck has to be strong since it is the chuck that clamps bits and the bits should not slip at all during working. The most common and preferred size is 3/8” for domestic works although other sizes like ½” and 1/4” are available. To tighten the bit in chuck, either chuck key is used or a key-less chucks can be tightened by hand. For heavy duty work, chuck-key should be preferred. Key-less chuck is more comfortable to use for a range of basic drilling works.
The overall performance and the life of a drill depends on the size and the power of motor. The rating of motor is measured in amperes and higher the amp rating of motor, the better it is. For heavy works, you need a higher thrust and a more powerful motor while for DIY works, motor with lower amp ratings will also suffice.
Most of the drill brands come with hammer function. You have the option to select the hammer function and this function is used primarily when working on hard surfaces like concrete or stones. The hammer power is measured in BMP. Higher the blows per minute, more easily you can drill any hard surface.
While checking the design and built of any drill, comfort is the key. The drill should be light-weight and grip of the handle should be steady and strong to hold even for longer durations. If your job requires long work durations, look for a drill with side handle and a trigger lock. A trigger lock will help you avoid pressing the trigger continuously for long time which can exhaust your fingers and hand. You can look for brands that provide small storage area to hold screws or drills.
Selecting a corded drill, always requires you to look for a longer cord since a long cord will provide the flexibility and freedom to move around and work in a wider area without any obstruction. A longer cord also prevents any tightening or stretching of wire which may cause a short circuit or damage to wire.
If you want to use the corded drill as a screw-driver or an alternative to cordless impact wrench, then this reverse functionality is definitely going to help you while backing out the screws from the surface for one reason or the other.
The Best Corded Drills Reviews
- Matrix Quick Connect System allows for tool-free change of a variety of tool attachments
- Powerful 4.0 Amp Motor provides enough power for a full range of applications and attachments
- Compact and lightweight design allows users to carry out drilling/driving tasks in confined spaces and with ease
- 11 Position Clutch provides extra level of control to prevent stripping and overdriving screws
- Chuck Size: 3/8" in; Clutch Setting: 11; Included Components: (1) Double Sided Bit Tip
Black & Decker has been a pioneer in pistol grip drills and steadily winning the trust of customers around the globe for more than a century since its inception. Black & Decker BDEDMT Matrix AC Drill/driver is a lightweight and compact corded drill that can be used in restricted areas with ease. Powered by AC voltage, the BDEDMT corded drill is equipped with high quality 4 amperes powerful motor that is sufficient to do DIY and commercial drilling and driving jobs equally well.
The corded BDEDMT Matrix drill comes with innovative matrix tool attachment system which allows you to attach different toolsets with a tool-free system. The matrix system allows the user to attach professional grade tools with matrix system. To provide better control over the drilling jobs, the Black & Decker BDEDMT is armed with 11- position clutch that can be adjusted according to the need of the job and also helps to prevent over-driving of the screws.
Your tool box gets versatility and expandability with the option of purchasing extra six types of tools. The attachments available are trim saw, sander attachment, oscillating tool attachment, jigsaw, trim saw and router attachment which makes it a universal multi-tool drill/driver.
The icing on the cake is its judicious cost. The BDEDMT Matrix AC drill cum driver is available at a reasonable price and had got 5-star ratings from more than 70 percent of its satisfied customers. This a popular model which is highly recommended due to its compactness, low-price and high efficiency.
- 8.0A motor delivers high-performance in heavy-duty applications
- This product is manufactured in China
- This product meets customer requirement
- 8.0 Amp motor delivers high performance in heavy-duty applications
- 3/8-inch all-metal ratcheting keyless chuck for greater bit retention
This yellow colored 4 pounds’ drill from Dewalt is a powerful handy tool used to complete a variety of light and heavy duty applications. Dewalt DWD112 corded drill has a robust built with soft but firm grip which allows you to work for hours without any fatigue. The 8 Amp motor gives the necessary powerful thrust to hand and lets you perform heavy duty jobs without any hassles. The flexibility of this popular drill can be adjudged from the fact that it can drill up to 3/8” in steel and 1” in wood.
You will get increased work output since the drill is equipped with key-less clutch which ensures stronger bit holding. The ball bearing technology enhances the life of drill and prevents wear and tear from harsh conditions. The speed of the drilling can be varied from trigger to work on varied surfaces. The speed can be set from 0 to 2500 rpm to provide the much needed flexibility and precision.
The metal chuck and high power motor of this pistol grip DWD112 3/8-inch drill has made it a favorite among contractors and industry workers. Priced well-below hundred dollars, Dewalt DWD112 is an ideal drill for home and professional jobs. The Dewalt drill comes with a 90-days money back guarantee which again is a testament to the quality of the highly preferred drill.
The Dewalt DWD112 drill has got more than 400 positive reviews and above 70% five-star ratings to make it hot seller product on Amazon.
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- 9 Amp motor
- , forcible power combines high speed with optimal torque
- Max torque of 416.6in-lbs
- , ideal for high torque applications
Hitachi, known for the state-of-art research and development of power tools has once again surprised the world by launching this powerful and stable drill. The engineering team at Hitachi has crafted this drill focusing on its innovative design and high quality components. The Hitachi D13VF drill is powered by high 9 amperes motor which lets you complete heavy duty projects in an effective and timely fashion.
The D13VF drill from Hitachi can work up to 850 rotations per minute and is equipped with trigger lock that lets you work on a surface consistently for any period of time. The high-grade aluminum gear casing dissipates the temperature evenly and doesn’t let the drill heat up even after longer periods of time. The applications that need varying speeds can be completed effortlessly by finger controlled speed-trigger. The double gear reduction feature provides high torque and chuck-key ensures that the right amount of torque is applied to the job.
The reverse functionality of Hitachi D13VF lets you back out any misplaced or unwanted screw. The drill comes with a side handle that provides the much needed stability and balance to the drill while working on harder surfaces like bricks or stones. The drill can be conveniently placed on user’s belt with the hook provided with drill and is supported by a small but strong plastic carry-case to hold screws or other accessories needed in your drilling or joining tasks.
The Hitachi corded drill is backed by 5 year limited warranty and has worldwide customer care centers to take care of your drill. It is available on Amazon at a very reasonable priced so it has got 5-star ratings by more than 75 percent content users.
- Includes chuck key, holder and side handle
- Grip handle for added comfort
- Variable speed controls
The pistol grip drills were invented by Black and decker in the year 1910 and since then there is no looking back for black and Decker. DR560 1/2 –Inch is one such model from this company which has been popular among both home users and commercial users. The motor is strong with 7.0 Amp ratings and provides the required power to drill or fastening on wood, plastic or metal surfaces with ease.
The DR560 corded drill features middle handle that provides support while handling and provides comfort while using it for long time. The drill is just 3 pounds in weight and this compactness makes it easy to work in confined areas of work. The drill comes with a key-chuck which is made from all metal and increases the life of drill while increasing the bit-retention of drill.
The speed of the drill can be controllable to meet the requirements of varied surfaces. The range of speed varies from 0 to 900 rpm. The drill has the capacity of ½ “in steel and in wood the capacity is 1 to ½”. The drill has reverse bush system for both forward and reverse operation.
This versatile drill comes with 2-year warranty. The compact size of Black & Decker DR560 7.0-Amp 1/2-Inch Drill/Driver makes it ideal to gift it to somebody you adore. Amazon also provides the service of gift wrapping the drill on demand.
The multi-purpose drill is reasonable priced and has got overall 4.4 stars’ ratings on Amazon. The DR560 drill from Black & Decker is highly recommended for DIY and commercial contractors.
Both corded as well as cordless drills have their own advantages and disadvantages. The corded drills, being more powerful are preferred by professionals and can be used at home for heavy duty work. There is no hassle of changing the batteries as with the case of cordless drills.
This best corded drill buying guide has been prepared thoughtfully by tool-room experts to help you spend your hard earned money wisely. Although the corded drills can be used at home jobs but if you need to do odd jobs only a few times in a year, then do not pick any high priced drill.